Re: [incubation] Email access to Eclipse forums?

The following is my personal opinion and includes some frustration so
take it with a grain of salt.

Well in the good old times we ALL used newsgroups who had been perfectly
integrated into mail-clients, then came the forums (we've been told that
the cool kids are not using newsgroups and it was too much work to keep
the sync between those in place) and are now stuck with them, although they:

- managed to drop the traffic eg for e(fx)clipse by I'd say >70%
- don't work reliable
- ...

Bottom line: Eclipse.org forces you, your contributors, users to give up
on old habits and use an IMHO not useable forum software (you loose
replies, sometimes it is offline, ...).

I've not made the decision for e(fx)clipse what we'll use for the future
(google-groups eg integrate with mail-clients) but if you want to do
yourself a favor don't start with the forum thing.

The criteria:
- needs support async communication
- needs to integrate into my mail client
- needs to be available on mobile devices
- needs to be available in a browser
- (extra bonus) should integrate itself into my IDE

Tom