[incubation] project web site recommendations?

The OMR project is trying to work out what to do with our web site and looking at a few options:
        1. web site sources in a directory in our GitHub repo (keep docs and site beside code for easier maintenance)
        2. web site sources in a separate branch in our GitHub repo
        3. web site sources maintained at our Eclipse project web site git repo

In the first two cases, we would use a Hudson job to mirror the web site source to our Eclipse web site repository and to generate the actual web site, as I know some Eclipse projects already do.

Just wondering if there are other options we should consider or recommendations from other projects on what's worked best for you in managing your web site / source code.

In discussion on our mailing list, there is some attraction to maintaining docs alongside the source code in the same pull requests as well as to be able to branch the documentation along with the code for releases. There are also concerns about binary artifacts and repository clone times if the web site is in the same repository as the source code. I'd be particularly interested if you have any advice on how impactful these issues have been for your project.

Thanks!

Mark Stoodley 8200 Warden Avenue
Senior Software Developer Markham, L6G 1C7
IBM Runtime Technologies Canada
Phone:+1-905-413-5831
e-mail:mstoodle@xxxxxxxxxx

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Back to the top