Re: [ide-dev] A "releases/latest" URL in the IDE to ease upgrades?

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM, Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/03/2015 04:06 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
Great question. I think for maintenance and minor releases, we should absolutely make sure Check for Updates works.
AFAIK, it's already the case.
For major releases, though, I’m not sure it should be automatic. But it definitely should be easier. It wouldn’t be hard to add a feature that check for the availability of the next major release and offers to set up the p2 repos to get it. Ubuntu works this way and I felt that was a good experience.
As long as user is warned before an update, I don't get what is the benefit of treating major updates differently from intermediary ones. User can still click "Cancel" when suggested to update to newer version. It's not that different from having a button.

Exactly, the update itself is not forced upon the user. It's just a matter of it being available automatically (ie, without user adding an update site URL manually), whenever the IDE checks for updates - regardless of whether the check was requested manually by the user or automatically by the IDE.

From my discussions in the past, there was concern that upgrading major versions wasn’t actually supported.
I believe those are old-time concerns.

Good to hear that! (out of curiosity, were the concerns that the Platform code itself would break, or that 3rd party features/plugins would break?)

Back to the top