The biggest issue IMO is how do we choose what to work on?  Must be useful, but not so complex that it would take too long to solve.

We also need to find a general time that people can collaborate.  For things like this, collaborating in person is best, but since we are all so distributed, I don't see this happening too much.

Also, I don't see this replacing other Eclipse hackathons, since this one would focus more on committers collaborating to fix IDE bugs, rather than on mentoring new contributors.  Thoughts?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Ian Skerrett <ian.skerrett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In November we will be promoting the regular series of DemoCamps but I’d also like to encourage Hackathons.  Why don’t you guys organize a series around the IDE. Work together to define what needs to get fixed, identify experts that can help and setup communication channels that can be used during the events.

Due to timezones and schedules I would not recommend trying to do them all at the same time or same day.

Ian

From: ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Doug Schaefer
Sent: August-22-13 1:28 PM
To: Discussions about the IDE
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Hackathon

That would be awesome. We've very distributed. Finding ways to collaborate real time at any time would be a great push.

From: Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 22 August, 2013 12:51 PM
To: "ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On 08/22/2013 06:47 PM, Andrew Eisenberg wrote:

Ian, et al, I will be organizing an Eclipse hackathon in November. I haven't really started planning it.  I was planning on making it similar to last year's, but if you have a better idea, we can chat.  I'll contact you directly if you like.

It would be nice if you could find a way to integrate remote people (with Skype or other efficient collaboration tools for such an event).

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat