[ice-dev] Upcoming meeting, RCs and merge to master, clean up and branch purge, committer retirements

Everyone,

Morning! Hope you had a great weekend. Here are some project updates:

I have now heard back from everyone about dates for a project meeting. I will schedule it and email you details soon.

In preparation for the ICE III release (https://github.com/eclipse/ice/issues/477), we have decided to create a series of release candidates. You can see the ticket for the work that is outstanding. The way this work is that we will create a series of successive release candidates. Per our project release policy, the release candidates will be branches, tagged, and released on their own branches. Once an RC is live, master will be overwritten to the most recent release, which will be a release candidate in this case. As usual, all forward development will continue on next and branches off of next. I don't think there is anyone out there doing anything with master, but just a heads up.

I've been working a lot over the past year or so to clean up the project and I've had some help on this from Daniel and Joe. Eclipse ICE III is a complete rewrite, so we have eliminated, I think, 90% of the original code base. What remains in the next branch from the old code is kept for reference and will be removed soon. We have also closed all issues from previous releases that were not transferable in some way to III. Finally, I am going to begin a branch purge soon to remove most of our 57 branches, the majority of which are stale. I will create a backup of the repository and all remote branches before I do.

Finally, as part of our cleanup effort, it is time that we consider committer retirements since several people have left the project and no longer contribute. Our current committers are:
* Jay Jay Billings (Active)
* Alex McCaskey (Inactive)
* Daniel Bluhm (Active)
* Greg Watson (Inactive, maybe?)
* Joe Osborn (Active)
* Kasper Gammeltoft (Inactive)
* Robert Smith (Active, maybe?)
* Taylor Patterson (Inactive, but stays in touch)

Is there anyone on that list that objects to being retired as an Eclipse ICE committer?

Apologies for the book! Please share your thoughts if you have them. These are topics that we can touch on at our project meeting as well.

Thanks,
Jay

--
Jay Jay Billings