[ice-dev] Headless build of ICE

Everyone,

I have (re-)enabled a headless build of ICE in the core-extraction branch of the repository to support RNET and our push to the web. You can test this build by running the build with the build-headless-product maven profile enabled. Once it builds, the headless build will be available in the org.eclipse.ice.headless.product/target directory and you can execute like you would normally execute ICE.

In addition to supporting a headless build, this version also moves the build for all of workbench products into a build-products profile to decrease the total build time from 45min to an hour. I will update the build documentation in due course and I expect this build to be the default for ICE 2.2.

This build isn't really headless... it just doesn't draw the workbench. If you run the ss command from the OSGI console when you start it, you will see that all of the regular bundles from ICE are present. This is not ideal because it requires way to many resources, posts tons of error messages, and takes a lot of time to launch, but it is a start. We will not be able to remove everything until we do at least the following things:
1) Move both ICE and EAVP to the January version of Forms because their current scheme of using split versions of those packages causes problems.
2) Refactor our Items and the Core so that some service interfaces are not in bundles that also require the UI or bundles that also require it.
3) Update ICE and maybe PTP so that we don't require PTP UI bundles and can interact completely headlessly with PTP.
4) Remove all Core-level and lower dependencies on CDT, JDT, etc.

This work is tracked by bug #354.

Jay

--
Jay Jay Billings