Re: [ice-dev] Issue 262 - Progress Update

Hi Ram,

On 2/14/2017 12:47 PM, Ramachandran K. Narayanan wrote:
Hello ICE-Dev,

I have been working on issue 262 and my changes are my fork and on branch edefFile2 (https://github.com/knram06/ice/tree/edefFile2). A review of the changes would be helpful here.

The EDEF File processing was based on Scott Lewis's example code on how to obtain and process such an EDEF File. Overall I have made the following changes:

1) Enabled ConnectToCore button. (Attached screenshot)
2) Clicking on that opens a dialog box which has an 'Import via EDEF' option.
3) The EDEF file can be obtained by launching a Core session using the Core OSGi.launch file. The debug listener dumps out the EDEF format which should be saved in an XML file.

FYI there is an org.eclipse.ecf.osgi.service.remoteserviceadmin.EndpointDescriptionWriter class that makes creating a file easy.

This is probably not very elegant, but I am looking to improve this.

4) Choose this file by clicking on Import via EDEF which opens a File Browser. When the XML file is chosen, the hostname and port are extracted and filled into the dialog box.

5) Clicking OK triggers an attempt to connect. If successful the same EDEF description is written out to console.

I am looking at improving this:
1) Support Localhost discovery and Network-based discovery.
2) Issue 262 also suggests generating a View that lists all connected Cores to the Client. Any thoughts/pointers on this would be helpful.

I haven't looked at this Issue/feature,  but it sounds like a view that presented all registered/connected instances of ICore service (whether local or remote service) might be sufficient.

I remember that the Remote Services perspective on Eclipse allows for the listing of detected endpoints. Should I reuse that mechanism for listing the connected Cores?

I'm not clear on the desired functionality.   The ECF Endpoints view is a presentation of the discovered endpoint description instances (via whatever discovery mechanisms/protocols are being used).    The associated remote services may or may not actually have been imported from those endpoints.   I expect from your description that lists all connected cores...sounds like it's meant to present all imported remote services...but perhaps that's a misreading on my part.

WRT Network discovery...depending upon your use case (e.g. LAN-based discovery vs. WAN discovery) there are several different discovery impls available:  e.g. zookeeper, zeroconf, slp, etcd.

Be happy to help further.  If you/Ram would like to have meeting just let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

Back to the top