[hono-dev] Definition of Hono's public API

Hi list,

with Hono 1.0.0 having been released last year, we now need to follow
semantic versioning for its public API. So far so good. During the past
weeks while implementing new features, we already ran in to situations
where some refactoring would have been beneficial but where we had to
think twice about whether we can simply change a method's signature or
remove some obsolete class(es). I think we can all agree that this
depends on whether the affected artifacts are to be considered part of
Hono's public API or not.

However, we haven't yet defined which parts of Hono actually constitute
its public API. Thus, I would like to propose a draft of what I would
consider (or like to see as) part of Hono's public API:

1) All remote APIs documented under [1]
2) All classes in the core module
3) All classes in the client module
4) All classes in the service-base module

IMHO the rest would then automatically not be public API and would thus
not be subject to semantic versioning.

WDYT?

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/hono/docs/api/

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Kai Hudalla

Software Developer - Bosch IoT Hub

Bosch.IO GmbH
Ullsteinstr. 128
12109 Berlin
GERMANY
www.bosch.io

Registered Office: Berlin, Registration Court: Amtsgericht
Charlottenburg; HRB 148411 B
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr.-Ing. Thorsten Lücke;
Managing Directors: Dr. Stefan Ferber, Dr. Aleksandar Mitrovic, Yvonne
Reckling

Back to the top