[higgins-dev] Solution-level auto-building

Title: Solution-level auto-building
With a few exceptions (e.g. STS IdP) while most of the necessary components auto-build nightly, most of the Higgins 1.1 solutions do not yet auto-build nightly. Three reasons:

  1. For one or more of the components used by the solution, the component build script is missing but our home-made build system [1] should work.
  2. To build one or more of the components would require enhancements (e.g. to handle nightly C++ compilation) to our home made build system. We’ve decided never to do this and instead to cut over to creating a Buckminster build script instead.
  3. The solution requires one or more non-Eclipse-Higgins redistributable libraries.

Solutions to each of these three are, respectively:
  1. Just write the script
  2. Write the Buckminster script
  3. ...ah the interesting one

To solve #3 involves building solutions off of the Eclipse-Higgins site. I have started a page to gather requirements for this here [2]. Please review and comment. As you can see from reading [2], you WILL be able to go to the new Higgins download page [3] and download complete executable solution artifacts. The links for “type #3” solutions will simply point to an Azigo-hosted download page.

--Paul

[1] We don’t yet use http://eclipse.org/buckminster/
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Automated_Solution-Level_Builds
[3] http://eclipse.org/higgins/solutions/my_downloads.php (just needs to be renamed and checked into “ver2” staging area of the Higgins website)