RE: Strawman for 0..n entity ids [WAS:[higgins-dev] Myposition onEntityId]

Tony,

It sounds like we’re just down to semantics here. Per RFC 3986 (URIs), section 1.1:

   Identifier

      An identifier embodies the information required to distinguish
      what is being identified from all other things within its scope of
      identification.  Our use of the terms "identify" and "identifying"
      refer to this purpose of distinguishing one resource from all
      other resources, regardless of how that purpose is accomplished
      (e.g., by name, address, or context).  These terms should not be
      mistaken as an assumption that an identifier defines or embodies
      the identity of what is referenced, though that may be the case
      for some identifiers.  Nor should it be assumed that a system
      using URIs will access the resource identified: in many cases,
      URIs are used to denote resources without any intention that they
      be accessed.  Likewise, the "one" resource identified might not be
      singular in nature (e.g., a resource might be a named set or a
      mapping that varies over time).

By that definition, an internal database pointer is an identifer.

But no need to argue about semantics. If you prefer “reference” that’s fine with me. I think everyone agrees that the value of an EntityId is a “reference” that identifies exactly one Entity in a context.

=Drummond