From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Sermersheim
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 6:13 PM
To: Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions
Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] Nodes outside Contexts?

Ok, I get it now.

So basically, today we'd have to go:

INode node = myRegistry.createContext(<someContextID>).getNode(<someNodeID>);

(except I also left out the bit about opening/authenticating to the context)

Would the createNode method be anything more than a more convenient way of doing that?  BTW, if we end up adding this, I worry that the "create" verb in createNode sounds too much like we're adding a node rather than getting a node.  I suppose the same perception might be there with createContext.  Maybe that should be getContext?

Also, do you think people might see that and start wanting to get an attribute that way?  I mean, that would entail us adding an "absolute attribute instance identifier".  But they'd be able to quickly ask for something like the cell phone number for some user in some context.

The more I think about this stuff, the more it feels like it belongs somewhere other than the IdASRegistry -- maybe in some higher-level API that accesses IdAS.

anything interesting in those ramblings?

Jim

>>> "Markus Sabadello" <msabadello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/15/08 11:03 AM >>>
Nono that's not what I'm saying.

Every node is inside a context.

But: http://wiki.eclipse.org/NodeId_Data_Range says that "An absolute NodeId Data Range MUST uniquely identify both a Context and a specific Node within that Context".

This means that the absolute NodeId contains a ContextId and a relative NodeId (see examples on that page).

So.. If you give the IdASRegistry an absolute NodeId (and auth materials for opening the context.. I forgot that in the previous mail), it should be able to directly hand you an instance of INode, or?

Markus