Re: [higgins-dev] Nodes outside Contexts?

Nono that's not what I'm saying.

Every node is inside a context.

But: http://wiki.eclipse.org/NodeId_Data_Range says that "An absolute NodeId Data Range MUST uniquely identify both a Context and a specific Node within that Context".

This means that the absolute NodeId contains a ContextId and a relative NodeId (see examples on that page).

So.. If you give the IdASRegistry an absolute NodeId (and auth materials for opening the context.. I forgot that in the previous mail), it should be able to directly hand you an instance of INode, or?

Markus

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Jim Sermersheim <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to just say no, but I suspect I'm missing something.  Right now, a Context is like a top-level thing in Higgins.  So createContext is what we have to use to get started -- once we have the Context, everything we do (including accessing/updating Nodes) is in terms of that Context.

Are you thinking we need a way of creating Nodes outside the scope of any Context?

>>> "Markus Sabadello" <msabadello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/13/08 11:09 AM >>>
Jim,

Should we have an INodeId interface, in the same manner as we have a IContextId interface?

I could imagine the following method in IdASRegistry:

INode createNode(INodeId nodeId)

.. just like there is

IContext createContext(IContextId contextId)

today.

Markus