Re: Re[2]: FW: [higgins-dev] createPersonalRequest performance problem

Valery Kokhan <vkokhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 01/24/2008 12:56:25 PM:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I was playing for a while with your implementation of key pair
> generator and as I can see this process may take even longer
> then 40 seconds in my environment depending on the input parameters
> (master key and RP URI).
>
> I considered using 1024 key pairs as an option to improve performance
> but I noticed that regardless from the fact that cardspace tech refs
> specify that to sign security tokens either 1024 or 2048 keys could be
> used current implementation of key pair generator could generate key
> pairs of 2048 size only and throws an exception otherwise.
>
> Is this desired behavior or a bug?

This is desired behavior. Discussions with MSFT have taken place were MSFT
disclosed the fact that 2048 is the only size they use, regardless of the
documentation.

> From my understanding if we use key pair of smaller size we could
> improve performance significantly - in my environment when generation
> of 2048 key pair takes about 30 seconds then generation of 1048 key
> pair takes about 2,5 seconds only for the same input parameters.
>
> Can we change current implementation to generate/use key pair of
> smaller size?

We cannot retain compatibility with MSFT CardSpace if we change this code.
Please do not change this!

> --
> Thanks,
>
> Valery
>
> Saturday, January 19, 2008, 1:54:43 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Brian,
>
> > We are hoping to extend the card store to cache the generated key pairs
for
> > each RP so the key gen doesn't need to happen each time a card is used
(it
> > would only happen the first time for each RP). This is expected to be
on
> > the agenda for the F2F.
> > I have not seen this process take longer than 8 seconds, but even that
is
> > too long. I am not sure why you are seeing 5X that.
>
> > Regards,
> > Mike
>
> > Brian Walker <BWalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 01/18/2008 10:33:44 AM:
>
> >> Hi Mike - I understand you on travelling this week - but wanted to
> >> highlight this question to you. We are working to improve card
> >> selector performance and have a major issue with the key generation
> > process.
> >>
> >> Any insight and direction of what we can try to improve would be
> >> most appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance....Brian

Back to the top