Re: [higgins-dev] new IdASRegistry

Markus,

Okay, so the context factory XRDS document and the context XRDS
documents should all be separate documents?  In other words, one
context factory and two contexts would yield three XRDS documents?

With http://wiki.eclipse.org/ContextDiscoveryComponents#Example_3
being an example of context factory XRDS configuration and
http://wiki.eclipse.org/ContextDiscoveryComponents#Example_4
being an example of context XRDS configuration?

How would a context factory as defined in Example 3 know that it
could produce a context as defined in Example 4?  Should there be
something in the configuration of Example 4 that indicates which
factory can produce it or is that connection made based solely on the
"Type" definition is each example?

Tom

>>> "Markus Sabadello" <msabadello@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/8/2007 8:27 PM >>>
The answer to this lies within XRI resolution. When you resolve an XRI, the
first step is to obtain an XRDS document, and the second step is to perform
"service endpoint selection", which gives you a subset (usually one) of the
SEPs in the XRDS. This service endpoint selection depends on three input
parameters (path, service type, service media type) and some flags. The most
interesting parameter in our situation is the path, so if for instance we
have the XRI @novell*mycontexts, then the following ContextIds could result
in different SEPs being selected from its associated XRDS:

@novell*mycontexts/mycontext1
@novell*mycontexts/mycontext2

etc.

The SEPs in the XRDS document for @novell*mycontexts would each have <Path>
elements, so that the right SEP can be selected.

This is all already supported by OpenXRI and the new IdASRegistry. However,
this service endpoint selection only works in real XRI resolution. It does
not work if you use ContextIds that are URIs or local files. In these cases,
the "default" service endpoint will be selected, and it makes no sense to
have more than one.

So what this means is unless you use XRIs as ContextIds, you will need
separate XRDS documents for each.

At least this is how it currently works. Maybe at some point we can find a
way to use a query string as in your example (
http://example.com/context.xrds?<something>) to select a service endpoint,
but this is not currently defined.

So I suggest to get started and test everything, we use different .xrds
files for every context. I just updated the wiki page (again) with an
example XRDS for a context. Once I commit the code to the CVS, there will
also be example .xrds files for both the IdASRegistry and some contexts.

I don't know so much about real Higgins deployment scenarios yet, but I
estimate the most common ContextIds will be XRIs anyway instead of local
files.

Markus