Re: [hara-dev] GSoC project: DDI Client for Eclipse hawbkBit "Improve Automatic Testing"

Hi Noah,

nice to meet you! Glad you found out about the Hara project on the Eclipse GSoC page.

Currently, the hara-ddiclient tests use an instance of hawkBit server executed via docker as you can see in the build.gradle and the docker-compose.yml files: https://github.com/eclipse/hara-ddiclient/blob/master/build.gradle#L265

https://github.com/eclipse/hara-ddiclient/blob/master/docker/test/docker-compose.yml

The hawkBit instance has a predefined database (dump.sql) and artifactrepo:
https://github.com/eclipse/hara-ddiclient/tree/master/docker/test

There are 4 tests, defined in SuccessfulForcedUpdate.kt and SuccessfulSoftUpdateWithDownloadAndUpdateAlwaysAllowed.kt:

https://github.com/eclipse/hara-ddiclient/blob/master/src/test/kotlin/org/eclipse/hara/ddiclient/integrationtest/SuccessfulForcedUpdate.kt
https://github.com/eclipse/hara-ddiclient/blob/master/src/test/kotlin/org/eclipse/hara/ddiclient/integrationtest/SuccessfulSoftUpdateWithDownloadAndUpdateAlwaysAllowed.kt

The tests are currently executed automatically on Ubuntu Linux at every push. They are executed also on Mac OS when there’s a pull request:
https://github.com/eclipse/hara-ddiclient/blob/master/.github/workflows/pipeline-build.yml

The first step of the project is to replace the full hawkBit server with a mock implementation that has to be easy to configure at run time so I think the first thing for you to do is to familiarize with Eclipse hawkBit and its DDI API:

https://kynetics.github.io/hawkbit/

https://kynetics.github.io/hawkbit/apis/ddi_api/

Once that is done, we want to expand the set of test cases to cover different functionalities and error management features of hara-ddiclient.

Are you familiar with Kotlin coroutines and the actor model?

If you're not, I recommend studying the Kotlin official documentation:
https://kotlinlang.org/docs/coroutines-overview.html

For public communication, you can use either the hawkBit gitter chat: https://app.gitter.im/#/room/#eclipse_hawkbit:gitter.im

or the hara-dev mailing list:

Regards,