Re: [handly-dev] Dependency on org.eclipse.core.resources

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for the input!

It seems I was not quite correct in interpreting the results of my experiments. My initial approach depends on lazy resolution of symbolic references and although it does work on a HotSpot VM, the JVM Spec apparently provides no guarantees about lazy resolution, so the code appears to be in violation of the spec. It's all too easy to be fooled by such things. I need to take a deeper look at this when I have some time, but the problem starts to look much harder than I initially thought.

An approach with "isolating" the dependency on o.e.core.resources in a separate layer, along the lines you have suggested, would come with a cost wrt additional complexity both in the framework and for model implementations and clients (more "parts and pieces" to be aware of).

Need to decide whether the increase in complexity would be worthwhile and, to begin with, if it's really a problem to be solved, given that the Eclipse IDE remains the main target for the foreseeable future. The proposed redesign around the model API is a much more pressing need now.

Best regards,
Vladimir

Hi!

Don't worry about late answers, it wasn't that late and it happens to everybody :-)

I see, so the two demo zips are not really related. That makes sense now.

If you find a way to abstract out o.e.core.resources, then it would be great. I suppose that the clients would need a way to know what APIs are available and in what form - maybe some kind of ISomethingExtension interfaces? I trust you with this, the Handly APIs are very clean!

regards,
Vlad