Re: [handly-dev] lazy handling of ISourceFiles

Hi Vlad,

I think that parsing the whole file at once is important to ensure consistency with the given source snapshot, as dealing with snapshot inconsistencies can be tricky -- to say the least. IMO, partial parsing ("parse structural elements only") and/or incremental parsing ("reparse only what's changed"), not "lazy" parsing would be the correct answer. We have not observed any significant performance issues with the current design, even on source files with more than 50K LOC, with thousands of structural elements. If you still have concerns, I'm open to further discussion.

Best regards,
Vladimir

Hi!

If the source files are large and if the language allows to easily identify top level constructs that can be parsed individually, it would be meaningful and useful to not parse the whole file at once, but do it lazily when needed, just like for projects and folders.

Handly doesn't currently allow that and it wouldn't be easy to make it work (the parsing is relatively doable, but I don't think the reconciling and working copy stuff will play nice with such a change). My question is whether you think it is worth investigating further.

best regards,
Vlad

Back to the top