Re: [gmt-dev] GMT and MOF/XMI, FAQ

Hi, Jorn.
Thanks for the answers.

are more of academic interest.

Agree. Can you point us to the "definite" Ecore subset of MOF used in EMF?
If no one here has an answer I'll post the question on the EMF mailing list.

I think the EMF mailing list would be a good place to ask the question.

By the way, if you are able to provide the same web-interface to the mail list as you do, it would
help to come in from outside.
We welcome suggestions from people experienced in using EMF, to help us
evaluate what parts of EMF are really useful for our purpose. Is there an
advanced visual model editor that we can use?
There are two visual editors. One is Omondo which I tried out. Omondo visual editor is available for
free as a UML and EMF drawing tool, and there is a commercial version that in addition generates
from the models support for J2EE and connecting to databases, e.t.c. The second one, which
can be used to draw UML, and then export to EMF is Rational Rose. By the way, Rational uses
EMF for their internal development of UML2.

I am ready to help evaluating EMF. If anybody is experimenting with EMF and needs hints, I
am happy to help.

I was quickly going through your workflow presentation, and part of the requirements document.
What is written there makes a lot of sense, and I very much agree. The link to FAST points exactly
to what I meant with "successful DSL applications in the past". There is a company in China,
which has licenced all the FAST technology from Lucent, and provides such tools. Maybe it
would be good to get them involved? Another person whose imput may be very valuable
is Craig Cleaveland. He wrote a very nice book about program generation with XML and Java.
I cc the head of the Chinese company, Nina Miao, and Craig.

Best,
Philipp