Re: [gmt-dev] evolving GMT in a fully open process that allows others to join the effort

> > Again, I would like to make a point about Velocity here.
> > Velocity has a very reasonable template-editor plugin for Eclipse. Color
> > coding, delimiting if-then-else blocks etc. included. Only if your
target
> > language happens to be PHP, the plugin is somtimes confused because the
> > two syntaxes are very similar. :-(
>
> This is a nice example that emphasises the importance/unimportance of
> concrete syntax.
> - The concrete syntax is not irrelevant. You *do* want to be able to be
able
> to easily exchange/modify concrete syntax  to avoid issues as described
> above
> - You *don't* want your fundamental tool architecture to depend on a
> concrete syntax
>
> Both points need to be considered in our tool achitecture.

From my point of view, pragmatically speaking, it is acceptable
to depend on the concrete syntax of the transformation (i.e.
template language), but not on the syntax of the (input) model.

> This is where I think we should start talking about "best practices for
> template languages" as a subset of "best practices for MDSD". Just as C++
> provides users with powerful features, some powerful template languages
> provide features that are dangerous to use. We shoud not provide/disable
> features that we consider dangerous. How about collaboratively writing a
> paper on this topic?

Yes of course. No problem. I have time :-))))

Markus

Markus Völter
mailto:voelter@xxxxxxx

voelter - ingenieurbüro für softwaretechnologie
Ziegelaecker 11, 89520 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 (0) 73 21 / 97 33 44

http://www.voelter.de