RE: [gmt-dev] b+m code generator

Hi Markus

>The primary reasons why I mentioned this is
>because I think the idea of using in-memory
>abstract syntax trees is *much* more useful
>than working on low-level concrete syntax

I agree but there are practicalities. Or we may be at cross purposes.

Ideally, I could use an abstract meta-modelling language to define my
transformations and all the concrete code would be synthesised automatically
from the meta-modelling abstractions. I hope QVT will be such a language.

Today, there are significant bodies of code that perform transformations
between their
proprietary concrete class hierachies. If this type of code is to be
exploited by GMT, we
need to keep the transformation code, and provide conversions between some
standard
representation of some semi-standard meta-model and the proprietary class
hierarchy.
So while I would like to get away from concrete syntaxes, it is a necessary
part of
the support for legacy transformations.

	Regards

		Ed Willink

E.D.Willink,                             Email: mailto:EdWillink@xxxxxxx
Thales Research and Technology (UK) Ltd, Tel:  +44 118 923 8278 (direct)
Worton Drive,                            or  +44 118 986 8601 (ext 8278)
Worton Grange Business Park,             Fax:  +44 118 923 8399
Reading,   RG2 0SB
ENGLAND          http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/personal/pg/E.Willink
(formerly Racal Research and Thomson-CSF)

Back to the top