[gmt-dev] Multi-instances

Hi All

My colleagues in France asked what it meant to use the multiple objects from
a greater than unity cardinality. UML provides the answer and this is
partially in UMLX already. UML has objects and multi-objects. UMLX
transforms
therefore have instances and multi-instances, which must be used wherever
the cardinality is greater than 1. Introduction of multi-instances avoids
the
need for schema to define their own strongly-typed collection classes and
support transforms. Instead you just create a MultiInstance of a String and
multi-stereotype it as a <<Bag>> if necessary.

In order to access the elements of a <<List>>, it is sufficient to use
an unlabelled reference from a MultiIstance of String to an Instance of
String
with cardinailty 1 {head}, or from a MultiInstance of String to a
MultiInstance
of String with cardinailty 0..* {tail}. I'm not sure that this needs better
graphical support at all.

	Regards

		Ed Willink

E.D.Willink,                             Email: mailto:EdWillink@xxxxxxx
Thales Research and Technology (UK) Ltd, Tel:  +44 118 923 8278 (direct)
Worton Drive,                            or  +44 118 986 8601 (ext 8278)
Worton Grange Business Park,             Fax:  +44 118 923 8399
Reading,   RG2 0SB
ENGLAND          http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/personal/pg/E.Willink
(formerly Racal Research and Thomson-CSF)

As the originator, I grant the addressee permission to divulge
this email and any files transmitted with it to relevant third parties.

Back to the top