Re: [gmf-dev] About upcoming Eclipse Sirius project

On 06/10/2013 09:06 AM, Philipp W. Kutter | Montages AG wrote:
Hi, Mickael.
Hi Philippe,

Thanks for your input, the summary is appreciated.
I don't think Generative versus Interpretative is the big difference between GMF Tooling and Sirius.
In my opinion, it makes a big difference for adopters. Most people who'll have a look at adopting GMF Tooling vs adopting Sirius tutorial will probably go to Sirius because of the interpretative approach allows a simpler and faster workflow.

Adding interpretation modus to GMF Tooling will just be another feature to be added or not, at some suited point in the GMF Tooling roadmap.
There are a lot of things on the GMF Tooling roadmap, and when and how to tackle interpreted diagram editor models will depend on the demand from the user community, of major adoptors and users like the Papyrus project, and of the GMF Tooling sponsor, who has a population of 90 DSLs written in ECore.
Sure, but that's still a potential point in roadmap, whereas Sirius will provide it in its first release. I'm afraid for GMF Tooling that once Sirius gets released, the GMF Tooling community just stops growing in favor of the Sirius one.

The last release of GMF Tooling moved a lot of functionality that was previously in code to QVTO and OCL, including impact analysis for the OCL part. Thus a major step towards interpreted diagram editor models was already done in GMF Tooling. If another prototype for doing it exists in open source, in the form of Sirius, this will only help to speed up adding it to GMF Tooling too.
Of course, but such a project interpreting GMF Tooling models as configurators of a diagram editor does not exist.

The main strength of GMF Tooling is that it is a pure open source project, without any dependency on a commercial project. Even the largest user, Papyrus, is a pure open source project, and not a commercial product. The developers of GMF Tooling, and now as well QVTO are recruited among the original developers of the EMF Modeling Frameworks at Borland/Together, and work at good, but local rates in Prague and St. Petersburg, without any other organization in the middle. The sponsorship money flows directly to the developers.
Like this, the GMF Tooling project can quickly replay for more requests from the community or the commercial users. Currently we focus communicating this capabilities to the Swiss financial industry, but we will do broader communication soon.
I'm not saying anything bad against GMF Tooling and the companies behind GMF Tooling development. I know GMF Tooling is a project that powers a lot of very nice diagram editors ;) I'm just trying to highlight that GMF Tooling will soon have Sirius as a main competitor project (same goal, same license, Eclipse label), and that in the current status of GMF Tooling and Sirius, Sirius will probably be the choice of newcomers in Eclipse diagram world.

Hope to see you at Models2013, to finally meet you in person, and dicusss.
Unfortunately, I won't be at Models2013. I guess you've all noticed that Modeling is no more my main activity since I joined Red Hat.

Regards, and have a nice week,
Thanks, you too.
--
Mickael Istria