Re: [geomesa-users] Questions on Geomesa Kafka DataStore and Structured Streaming

Hello,

1. We don't currently have any deep integration with Spark streaming. If you wanted to use it, you could attach to the Kafka topic and deserialize the resulting messages into SimpleFeatures using GeoMesa classes: https://github.com/locationtech/geomesa/blob/master/geomesa-kafka/geomesa-kafka-datastore/src/main/scala/org/locationtech/geomesa/kafka/utils/GeoMessageSerializer.scala#L180

2. The Kafka data store works by reading off a Kafka topic. If you aren't writing data, then you won't see any data in the feature reader. Also, you need to allow some amount of time for the reader to process the topic before the features will be queryable, so if you get a feature reader and immediately query it you might not see any data. There are configuration options to control how far-back on the topic the reader starts - by default it does not read-back at all: https://www.geomesa.org/documentation/user/kafka/usage.html#kafka-data-store-parameters

3. You can use the GeoMessageSerializer class I linked to above.

Thanks,

Emilio