[gef-dev] GEF3 resurrection

Hi Team!

I am from the DBeaver development team (https://dbeaver.io). We develop the universal database management tool based on the Eclipse RCP platform.
Besides other Eclipse RCP extensions, we heavily rely on legacy GEF/draw2d.

I was a speaker on several recent Eclipse Cons, the last session was about legacy GEF adoption:
https://www.eclipsecon.org/2021/sessions/diagrams-eclipse-rcp-back-future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZIUB2XFDLE

What we want is to resurrect GEF3 maintenance and include it back to the standard Eclipse RCP lifecycle.
We have several PRs we'd like to merge in the codebase (currently we maintain all fixes in our forked repository on GitHub). We also want to propose legacy API improvements (keeping  API backward compatibility) and several features.

As far as I know, there are other groups of developers who eagerly want to contribute and/or maintain the GEF legacy project.

So, generally, the question is about the GEF project ownership transfer.

I don't know who owns the legacy GEF project.
If anyone can help us with this we would be really grateful.

Best regards,
Serge Rider
DBeaver CTO, developer

Back to the top