Re: [escet-dev] Things that break the code editing flow (was: Openness/transparency)
  • From: Dennis Hendriks <dh_tue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:55:54 +0000
  • Accept-language: nl-NL, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none; dkim=none; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=ORbLxpI7JZo7zt3PEfrjwBwmwdY5MZBcr8ZjD2JoPCU=; b=U/Wb1lAUDkWEPQQ3OXU1t1Vb2Z/oJ1jntwoo+1LpK7zVWe7mVHN72Au6HD1OUcS8JyYNkHyUP9VCOnrRNGrM2Jb/6fLXOxcZW101s733hMJtb4sr/h7Rw2bK+nd3Wj/UuGkfC5o5NbnIeaxuxkPvEdVIzKToprD3C/kqyDwRK+Pdtb48UsGk861t7eZqnyEt4uUug1Bzsj/MreH8GHbJfhn7d7nl5Vn6WiamnpnNFudWa2K2UmBy3xFLSzhjWpIgRE8KEti5FSydzfKMAolgZScKaLrmSpAD8glprXlnga5KCjha8KO+UWLzPaVybzQOBH8IIMzSJG46jS8KT1JfOA==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=HFZJOCevycTHNcwqVrNY3/m7VtkQNgECC5SZMRVZi+LQ4ttqMhB+zT7/IebwL900foe8OE0JokA29ywSzqyVk0hdo1fE+vUb7dI2YsY++GncH6XltVyWrIYE3xpnnxbYRUBcpnBjaFMxWNJ9QFMvMlSF5owhidj8yK1g0l0gBiLi/ZulxA1BHDniMfczDuhpU/elCsx2gGbuLJmHkNNOb8IVs+gRHPHWi/iHXPXWuBAYXbPqio2NyVbZ5l8QQ4JAP2m3PrxzRpGqsMBsspW3X6g13UbWS64xiK1xmurTyU306qLUwlp1Tu6QnylFPGJUAIGsSmww58P2ipVEknC/0g==

Hi Albert,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I had lost track of this email. I just found it while cleaning up my mailbox.

Thanks for providing concrete information on what bugs you. Without this type of information, we can't take action on it, to improve the situation.

Regarding each item:
  • Regarding the formatting of 'if' and '{': I've created #194 to discuss further, and see whether we can improve things.

  • Regarding 'Eclipse editor forgets everything when you don't have a syntactically correct file': Do you mean that if you save you lose things you entered? Or something else? I'm not yet sure I understand what you mean here. If indeed you lose what you typed then that would be a serious bug!

  • Regarding auto-completion: The Eclipse JDT Java editor has many options to control auto-completion:

    For instance, the 'sort proposals' option can be used to configure the order of proposals. If you can come up with better settings, we could consider adding these to our Oomph setup. If there is no order that fits for you, then I propose to create an issue for JDT to suggest something better, such that they can implement it.

  • Regarding Eclipse configuration and documentation not being clear: I'm afraid I can't change the whole Eclipse ecosystem. If you have specific issues, I propose to create issues on the corresponding projects. I've done so myself as well in various situations.

  • Regarding the new Java file template: I've created #195 as I like the idea a lot. Also, I seem to have it working correctly, I think.

  • Regarding Checkstyle warnings: Is it about the style that we use to highlight Checkstyle warnings (the whole background gets an orange color)? Or does it also concern Eclipse JDT warnings (yellow squigglies under the line)? See the following screenshot for the difference:

Dennis