Re: [escet-dev] Getting started

Hi Albert,

Forgot mention: the is also "$HOME/.eclipse".

Dennis

Van: Dennis Hendriks <dh_tue@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Verzonden: woensdag 16 december 2020 13:46
Aan: escet-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx <escet-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Onderwerp: Re: Getting started

Hi Albert,

NOTICE.asciidoc is useless, and CONTRIBUTE.asciidoc is useless as well. [...]

I agree the developer documentation is not that easy to find yet. Once the developer documentation is deployed, we can ensure NOTICE, CONTRIBUTE and project pages all point there.

I wouldn't even think of looking in "products" for development docs.

I agree the 'org.eclipse.escet.documentation' project doesn't really fit in the 'products' directory. It is there now, as it is the documentation for the entire project/product, and it includes the developer documentation. I'm not immediately sure in which other folder to put it. Do you have any suggestions?

> [...] except with the current setup file at the file-system [...]

Putting the setup file on your local disk should work. The only thing is that it will then not redirect to the location in the Git checkout later on, so it will still be linked to the local disk location, and won't change when you e.g. switch branches. You can always manually edit eclipse.ini of your development environment to add a redirect for your own custom local disk location. Or you can use the online URL as in the instructions.

I got as far as downloading stuff by oomph, but failing at downloading some of the files at dl-tray.com. A while later that still failed, so perhaps there was something wrong with the setup.

If you have a specific error message, I may be able to help with this. I've seen quite a few different errors over the years. For me the recent setups have been very stable.

One thing I can remember is that it was once trying to use IPv6 and failed. Setting the following environment variables helps to prefer/enforce IPv4 and solve many download issues:

_JAVA_OPTIONS=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
_JPI_VM_OPTIONS=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

(yes, the environment variable names really start with an underscore)

> [...] very unhappy that it spreads settings to outside the directory I set as install destination.

There is indeed some information at "$HOME/.p2".

If you disable the P2 pool in the Eclipse Installer (Oomph) it will install all the features/bundles to the installation directory you choose. Your existing P2 pool will then not be used and new new features/bundles will not be put in your global p2 pool. You can also have multiple P2 pools and P2 agents.

Some background information that may be useful here:
It does indeed also remember the Oomph setups that you've added in the past. You may remove them on the Eclipse Installer (Oomph) 'page' where you can also add a new setup. It sometimes helps to first remove the old ones and then add a new one, especially if they have the same name/id.

> [...] which also means it's making a mess in my other Eclipse installs.

All your installations have a profile that is indeed stored in the "$HOME/.p2" directory somewhere (unless you changed the P2 location yourself). This way P2 (and thus Oomph) know what installations you have, and what bundles in the P2 pool are used by what installation. It also allows it to clean up no longer needed bundles, for installations that you've removed. You can do that for instance with the Eclipse Installer (Oomph).

None of this should effect other Eclipse environments you set up using Oomph. It surely won't affect any Eclipse environments you obtained by simply extracting a ZIP with an Eclpise IDE-based product.

> [...] claims that the .setup file is invalid ("does not contain a valid product") [...]

I've not seen or heard about this problem, when following the instructions in the developer documentation. That is, except for the earlier things I mentioned relating to removing/readding the setup in case of name/id overlap and obtaining the Oomph setup from different locations.

> [...] unpacked the installer again [...]

Did you just download the Eclipse Installer, or is an old version that you downloaded a longer time ago?

I hope this information helps you resolve your issues. If not, please let me know.

Dennis