Re: [escet-dev] GitLab
  • From: "Hofkamp, A.T." <A.T.Hofkamp@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 08:33:51 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=tue.nl; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=tue.nl; dkim=pass header.d=tue.nl; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=24MeobycRbiynlSyV+00dc2I/MtU8MwonwIfo/56e/Y=; b=aWWJyxsU9FPgmga4MEkTRODDWCPNNVjQ33idXerZLQ+ahVtcUzDYIsV3co7ort3zt7h74a4cBkgqW1fSflsm4tJ6pLGV9xFYSKzRj2p0lyNhq6fi1GTXyueYK5sNrWZZkEVOmo57ikWhCOyDsZ0v5SjSvionNFnVjiygrjBUOfm7GQXE+EVSXDsLaPMGm8InxqgPH/wRHs2ocECrrjvT7PVw29OIS2hNbs7J6/R+GCgb5nApcF+tiK0GSoJ4PZ+iwMJacc2EaA5eT872SlA4XF6u9yRwWvakxekBMkwQKBMUNrYUl52ynFZVDWcFQjI2985eZ3WCldUZynSr1SI5yQ==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=HlbdCOqe/kGoc2VIGaiCRzdPvjL3u5MxJuU96VNeu50TtYrE4haSoXms4Vko1vSBbyMM2VQyUYpA65T3XcgQ699D1C6zQF6bl7EtjFuVjYtqdnnuiisCvVY8le5YGFLcyqxo1kJDim6H6eAsNCPMgd2p44Ad/l6J1iu6Afsnvofp9QWo1y374RDjaMOK/975iWe8v3bTauetcfuRP9dk+E9QIIgnKW+PYTW9gAV4k1oE3oS3daK9kX8netX/t99EVT/b77K3EaTTFyXv2EaAin45rFOAD2EvcL3wqLnfHDRAgcgjy1+zzHjZpjCYXmS1swqh1EezUY3vI4s6nTtKEQ==

> Regarding 'issue tags'. We already have a number of predefined 'issue labels' as GitLab calls them. See https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipse/escet/escet/-/labels. Do we see the need for other labels?

Got lost in ESCET group instead of the project (why do different things have the same name??!!), which has an empty set of labels.

Looking at the list above, I am not too impressed by it.

"Bug" and "Enhancement" seem fine.

"Community Contribution" and "Help Wanted" I can live with, although not sure of the use.

"Confirmed" seems like a useful thing at least for bugs, not sure if we'd ever use that for anything else.
There is also the notion "Reproducable" for bugs, not sure if "Confirmed" includes that.

"High Priority" and "important" are equivalent as far as I can see. Either has questionable use I think, when is a bug not important or low priority?

"work in progress" seems a bit fuzzy, are there issues which are not work in progress? The ultimate goal is to have an empty list of issues, I think.

"documentation" seems off, it may come from the idea that documentation is weird or not important or so, which is not how we work. At least to me code and documentation are equally important at least (and perhaps docs are even more important!)

------
So, I would propose to keep Bug and Enhancement. We may also want a FeatureRequest for all the "please implement X" issues.

The only other kind of issues I can think of are "Release" issues and "general discussion/ideas about a topic" things.
The former needs a somewhat more generic name perhaps, for all "work needed which is not a bug or enhancement" since we make an issue for everything (not only release, but also build infra-structure, CI, website/etc, ie "other" 🙂 ). The "general discussions/ideas" can fit in the Epic thing.

"Community Contribution", "Help wanted", and "Confirmed" seem fine, where the latter should probably imply "reproducable"

For "High Priority" or "important" I see no use, possibly also due to the next item.

"work in progress" I propose to drop. Instead make a milestone "future", and attach everything that we deem worthy of doing at some point.
Also, make a milestone for the next release (or even just "next-release" if we don't have a number) for things we want to actually work on.
My guess is that we are well aware of what is important, so having labels for it isn't useful imho.

"documentation" shouldn't be treated as special imho, I propose to drop it. code and docs are equally important, they go hand-in-hand.

We may want to add a few labels for the parts, ie "common", "cif", "chi", "tooldef", "setext". This is not complete, eg build related things are missing. Also, "cif" may be not too useful, as most issues will have that so it can be a default by not labeling it.