Re: [equinox-dev] optional dependencies for weaving.aspectj

I expected exactly what you describe, but observed something else... :-(

What I observe is:

- org.aspectj.weaver package is available in version 1.6.4 (its the only available version) - org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj defines an import on org.aspectj.weaver for the minimum version 1.6.3

What seems to happen is:

- if there *IS NO* optional flag for the import, org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj gets wired to version 1.6.4
(correct)

- if there *IS* an optional flag for the import, org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspecjt doesn't get wired to org.aspectj.weaver at all, even that there is version 1.6.4 available
(not correct, I think)

I will check again, but this seems to be what I observe...

-Martin

Thomas Watson wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why the fact that these constraints are optional
is causing you an issue.  I would expect the same behavior for non-optional
imports.

If a bundle imports a lower version of a package and gets wired to that
lower version, then later a new bundle is installed which exports a higher
version of the package, I would not expect the importer to automatically
get wired to the new package.  This should only happen if you uninstall the
old version of the exporter and refresh the importing bundle or you refresh
the importing bundle to force it to re-resolve.  At that point I would
expect it to get wired to the higher version regardless of if the import
was optional or not.

Tom

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Martin Lippert <lippert@xxxxxxx>                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Equinox Project <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                                         |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |09/15/2009 11:52 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[equinox-dev] optional dependencies for weaving.aspectj                                                                                           |

Hi!

I am observing a problem with the optional dependencies for
org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.aspectj. We made the dependencies to some
aspectj stuff optional (which is good and works fine). But I also added
a version constraint to the import (which should be the minimal
version). But since the optional flag is set, the runtime doesn't wire
this optional dependency to available higher versions of the package.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks!!!

Cheers,
-Martin