Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] p2 mixing extensions and services?

Hi Fredrik

Extensions and services are complementary. In p2 we chose to use services to interconnect the logical components of the system (and in the future help with their replaceability) and extensions when we needed pluggability (e.g. repository types, touchpoints, GC root sets, etc.). This is very much in line with how we've done things in the past in Eclipse.
I don't want to go down the path of extensions vs services, as this has been covered by various articles, but I would like to emphasize that "extension/extension points" are as OSGi-y as anything else and the extension registry is usable in other OSGi frameworks. They are just another way to compose your system.
As for the singleton nature of the TouchpointManager, it is just lazynsess, convenience. Could you elaborate on the use-case requiring it to be non-singleton?

HTH,

PaScaL

Inactive hide details for "Fredrik Alströmer" ---06/13/2008 05:27:52 AM---Hi people, I've been digging through the source code "Fredrik Alströmer" ---06/13/2008 05:27:52 AM---Hi people, I've been digging through the source code of p2 a bit, and I'm a little bit

"Fredrik Alströmer" <roe@xxxxxxx>

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/13/2008 05:27 AM

[equinox-dev] [prov] p2 mixing extensions and services?

Hi people,

I've been digging through the source code of p2 a bit, and I'm a little bit confused by the inhomogeneous use of extensions (touchpoints) and services (pretty much everything else as far as I can tell). Why can't the touchpoints simply be OSGi services? The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to use equinox p2 in a more OSGi-y environment (perhaps with a different OSGi framework).

I'm also a little bit confused by the TouchpointManager singleton, is that really necessary (the singleton, I mean)? or is that somehow a logical consequence when using extensions?

Does that make sense at all? :)

Thanks,

Fredrik.