Re: [equinox-dev] Using Jetty in OSGi

I do not know much about Equinox OSGi implementation but I may give
some answers based on my experience with Pax Web (also an HttpService
implementation based on Jetty):

1. In may view everything it's okay as soon as it serves you goals.
So, I would not see any problem in the fact that you implement your
own http server based on Jetty. Just be sure that you wanna do so, at
that will mean that you have to implement it, maintain it and so on,
more or less by your own, compared with an implementation that is
backed up by a community.

Looking at your "future" goals you may wanna take a look at Pax Web
Extender Web that allows you to deploy a war like bundle, by parsing
your web.xml and register found elements. To have a full support you
have to use Pax Web implementation of HttpService (because it has an
extended HttpService implementation supporting listeners/filters/...).
Just for a simple web.xml that uses only servlets/resources you can
use it with any HttpService implementation as the one available from
Equinox.
If you want a direct integration with Jetty you may wanna take a look
at Spring DM web support.

2. The problem is that you pass the class name to Jetty, and Jetty
will try to instantiate the class, fact that will fail as Jetty will
not see your bundle class space.
I do not know how Equinox implementation actually uses Jetty but in
principle you may want to pass an instance of the Servlet to Jetty not
the class name. As an example you can take a look here for how you can
do that,, and look for add servlet:
https://scm.ops4j.org/repos/ops4j/projects/pax/web/bundle/src/main/java/org/ops4j/pax/web/service/internal/JettyServerImpl.java

I suppose that Simon can give you more details about the Equinox implementation.

HTH,
Alin Dreghiciu