Re: [equinox-dev] is this a service tracker bug?

Which is the prime reason why you should also import your service package in A, so that it can wire to other providers if they are available.

-> richard

Jeremy Volkman wrote:
Mark,

Since your service interface (IA.java) is contained within bundleA,
bundleB requires a package import from bundleA.  The effect that
you're seeing is that the old version of bundleA remains in the system
and is still used by bundleB after you call "update".  Therefore you
now have two instances of bundleA in the system: the old one, still
used by bundleB, and the new refreshed one.

Since you called 'refresh', the old bundleA was stopped, and so were
any registered services (which is why you see 'removedService').  The
new bundleA was also started, and a new IA service was registered.
However, since bundleB is still using the package import from the old
bundleA, it does not get notified of the new bundleA's service (refer
to ServiceListener vs. AllServiceListener).

Calling 'refresh' instructs the framework to perform the steps
outlined at http://www2.osgi.org/javadoc/r4/org/osgi/service/packageadmin/PackageAdmin.html#refreshPackages(org.osgi.framework.Bundle[]).
 This in turn stops bundleB, gets rid of the old bundleA and links
bundleB to the new bundleA's package source.  When bundleB is
restarted and linked to the new bundleA, it can once again see the IA
service.

Sorry if that was a bit confusing.. maybe someone else can clarify a bit more.

-Jeremy