Re: [equinox-dev] Fw: [cross-project-issues-dev] Wiki "standardization"?

+1. Makes sense. It's not a replacement for categories since pages can have multiple categories and categories sometimes cross-cut projects. But, having all Equinox pages appear under /Equinox or /Eclipse/Equinox would make sense to me.

Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

11/17/2007 04:55 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] Fw: [cross-project-issues-dev] Wiki "standardization"?

anyone tihnk that using / would be good in our wiki pages?  The value seems to be in the breadcrumbs that Nick mentions.  Check out the set of links at the top of one of the page examples he gives.  I'm not proposing a rename of all the pages (though that is possible) but looking to bring some order to the wiki going forward.

Jeff

----- Forwarded by Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM on 11/17/2007 04:51 PM -----
Nick Boldt/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: cross-project-issues-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/17/2007 12:49 PM

Please respond to
Cross project issues <cross-project-issues-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Cross project issues" <cross-project-issues-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [cross-project-issues-dev] Wiki "standardization"?

When I first started writing wikis, I tended to use the [[Category:...]] convention to group pages into obvious categories like Releng, Java, EMF, Modeling, FAQ...

I still do that, but having discovered the 'automatic breadcrumb' effect of creating subpages using "/" in titles, I've started renaming pages to use that new convention, as it provides a sense of page-to-project ownership and navigation that the categories don't provide.

Consider:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Modeling_Project_Releng/Component_Creation/Build_Server_Setup
http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDT/1.5_Plan
http://wiki.eclipse.org/MDT/XSD/FAQ
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Ganymede/Signoffs

Also, category nesting is a powerful way to create component or subproject categories:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:Dash_Project
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:Modeling
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Category:Releng

Personally, I recommend using both. Oh, and as Remy taught me a while back, if you need to redirect a page to another page (and can't do a Move because there are already two existing pages, or because you want to have a landing page direct to a Category [1]), just do something like this:

#REDIRECT [[:Category:Eclipse_Web_Tools_Platform_Project]]

[1]
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Web_Tools_Project

Of course one aspect of naming that Remy didn't mention is the over-verbose page titles like "Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project" when "Web Tools Project" would work just as well. ;-)

$0.02,

Nick

On Nov 17, 2007 12:17 PM, Remy Chi Jian Suen <