Re: [equinox-dev] Equinox, OBR and all that

Albert,

This pretty much describes the system we use internally for starting
our OSGi-based server.  The one and only bundle installed along side
org.eclipse.osgi is responsible for:

1. Communicating with one or more repositories (of which are
extensible through the service layer);
2. Searching for and retrieving a "deployment set", which is a list of
bundles, valid version ranges for those bundles, and whether or not
they should be started;
3. Performing necessary tasks to get the state of the current system
to that described in the deployment set;
4. Register a Java Shutdown Hook that initiates a shutdown procedure
when the JVM is sent a SIGTERM.

The bundle compares the running state of the OSGi system to that
described in a deployment set.  From that comparison it can compute a
list of steps required to perform the update, and optionally execute
the steps.  Initial startup of the system basically compares the
deployment set to an empty OSGi system and therefore installs and
starts all necessary bundles.

We don't (yet) integrate with OBR.  My understanding of OBR is that a
large part of its functionality is in the dependency resolution
system, which figures out that if you want to install bundle X, you
first need bundle A, B and C.  We choose to leave this as a
configuration-time task, and validate a particular deployment set
before using it to start and/or update a system.

This software isn't released publicly, although we've been tossing the
idea around recently.  I guess outside interest would help move that
forward.

-Jeremy