Re: [equinox-dev] Finding a running instance

An ECF based solution may be fine for this particular usecase. However I
don't think it will suitable for other scenarios like invocation from a non
eclipse based application or from a web browser (see SOC
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Web_Interface).
Thomas which kind of operation are you trying to execute on the remote
eclipse?

             Thomas Hallgren
             <thomas@xxxxxxx>
             equinox-dev-bounc         Equinox development mailing list
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx            <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             06/30/2007 06:57                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [equinox-dev] Finding a running
                                       instance

             Please respond to
                  Equinox
                development
               mailing list
             <equinox-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Hi Scott,
I'm all for using ECF. In our case, we will have the ecf.core in place
already since we will be using file transfer API. Other factors are that
we want to do this relatively soon and we cannot have dependencies on
bundles that has not gone through the Eclipse.org IP process. I guess
all of that is true for the provisioning stuff as well.

So, what do you recommend? I.e. which implementation do we need in order
to have a working solution where we can fulfill our very modest
requirements and do local discovery? Is it feasible to use zeroconf for
this (I must admit my knowledge about it is somewhat limited)? Would we
gain anything from creating yet another ecf.discovery implementation
that is even simpler? I'm a bit unfamiliar with how SOC project works in
terms of time line, involvement from committers etc. Can we help out
with that? Given that this is somewhat urgent to us, should we perhaps
start with something more heavyweight and then replace it when the SOC
project delivers its code?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren