Re: [equinox-dev] Incubator commit rights for Kim Horne

We can likely learn from the aspect world here.  They seem to have a number of different points in time that they weave the code.  To me the plugin.xml/manifest.mf/... transformations are directly analogous to aspect weaving so it seems natural that these transformations too might be applied at different times.  The hard part in all of this is figuring out how to do the transformations etc.  Given a robust and extensible mechanism for applying transforms it seems straightforward to apply them as/when desired.

Jeff

Kimberly Horne <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

10/27/2006 01:05 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Incubator commit rights for Kim Horne

I am now doubting myself.  I really like the feel of this solution.
Augmenting the builder to process bundle resources seems so much more
elegant than inserting transformation points at N levels of the
runtime.  Other than the loss of transformations based on runtime
state (a dubious asset at best) the main drawback I can see is how it
would affect the shell sharing scenario.  If multiple logical
products use the same bundles it'd be impossible to have product-
level customizations.