Re: Re: [equinox-dev] Incubator commit rights for Kim Horne

Fine, if folks want to use XSLT then they should be *permitted* but they
should not be *forced* to use it.  Not everything is an XML document. :-)

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx

office: +1 407 849 9117
mobile: +1 386 848 3788

"Alex Blewitt" <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>
10/26/2006 05:04 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject

On 25/10/06, BJ Hargrave <hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But I find the use of XSLT to be stomach turning. XSLT programming is
not
> easy. I support Peter's thoughts on having a programmatic way of
> transforming metadata.

I think XSLT is *exactly* the kind of thing to use here. XPath is an
incredibly flexible way of being able to filter and transpose XML
documents, and is definitely the right choice.

A dumb programmatic API might be able to generate simple XPath
expressions for those that prefer writing in code, but don't turn a
great solution into a weak one just so that it can be written in a way
unsuited to the task.

Alex.