Re: [equinox-dev] Looking for a working example for services

You are confusing the service-component lifecycle with the bundle
lifecycle.  This is understandable - it's confusing!

The service-component lifecycle exists completely within the bundle's
lifecycle.   Like this:

Bundle - INSTALLED
Bundle - RESOLVED
Bundle - ACTIVE

      Service Component - ACTIVATED
      Service Component - DEACTIVATED

Bundle - STOPPED

The state you see in the OSGi console is the Bundle State.  Declarative
Services will not change your bundle state in any way.  SCR (The
Declarative Services runtime) will only act on the Service Components in
your bundle after the bundle has been put in the active state.

So start your bundle!

Regards,
Roy Paterson

Roy Paterson
IBM Pervasive Computing
Austin, TX
Phone: (512) 838-8898

             "Cameron Ross"
             <cross@symboticwa
             re.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             equinox-dev-bounc                                          cc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       [equinox-dev] Looking for a working
             05/12/2006 12:56          example for services
             PM

             Please respond to
                  Equinox
                development
               mailing list
             <equinox-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

Hello,

I'm creating an OSGi component using equinox declarative services.  The
osgi console indicates that my Activator only makes it into the "RESOLVED"
state.  However, page 281 of the OSGi Service Platform Service Compendium
for R4, states that an "immediate component is activated as soon as its
dependencies are satisfied".  It appears to me that my component should be
an "immediate component" and I would, therefore, expect it to move into the
"ACTIVE" state.  My component description and activator class follow:

<component name="example.activator">
    <implementation class="example.Activator"/>
</component>

public class Activator {
    public Activator() {
    }

    protected void activate(ComponentContext context) {
        System.out.println("Activator.activate()");
    }

    protected void deactivate(ComponentContext context) {
        System.out.println("Activator.deactivate()");
    }
}

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cameron Ross.