Re: [equinox-dev] Creating and Starting a BundleActivator when the framework launches

equinox-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 2006-04-09 09:51:31 PM:

> In fact, I suspect that the
> reason you have never had this problem is that the framework you
> have been using (SMF) did in fact automatically start every bundle
> on installation.

This actually is not the case for the SMF framework itself. I think Simon
was refering to smfbd "management agent" which I beleiver generally
started each bundle it installed. This was more appropriate for smfbd
since SMF had no lazy activation notion.

Another area of interest here is the conversation I had with Tom Watson at
EclipseCon. We were brainstorm ways to get Declarative Services registered
for bundles which were not started. While there are many details to work
out, the basic idea was for the framework to mark lazy start bundles in
the STARTING state rather than just the RESOLVED state. This would (a)
allow them to still avoid having a class loader and (b) allow SCR to
register their declarative services since they are technically started.
More thinking is needed here though. These bundles woudl stay in the
STARTING state until a class was loaded from them. This could occur for
any reason including SCR trying to load the implementation class for a
declarative service once it was used by some other bundle. This would
allow bundles to be installed and provide service without having to be
explicitly started. I think this is something interesting to pursue for
3.3.

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM
hargrave@xxxxxxxxxx
Office: +1 407 849 9117 Mobile: +1 386 848 3788

Back to the top