Re: [equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

I suggest you enter a bug report for this.

Jeff

Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

03/02/2006 02:30 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

How are you building and launching the framework.  I would expect the built jar to have the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file in it.  This file is in the org.eclipse.osgi project.  Make sure the built version includes this file content from the project.

Tom

"Arjun Singh" <aasingh@xxxxxxxxx>

03/02/2006 12:47 PM

Please respond to

<equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

Hi,

I have a beginner’s question.  I checked out the org.eclipse.osgi project from the cvs repository.  It builds without errors, but when I try to run it, I get the following:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException
: Unable to find system bundle manifest file.
     at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.SystemBundleData.createManifest(
SystemBundleData.java:79)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.SystemBundleData.<init>(
SystemBundleData.java:34)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.BaseAdaptor.createSystemBundleData(
BaseAdaptor.java:359)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundle.<init>(
SystemBundle.java:43)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.createSystemBundle(
Framework.java:221)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize(
Framework.java:186)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>(
Framework.java:112)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework(
OSGi.java:90)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>(
OSGi.java:31)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(
EclipseStarter.java:278)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(
EclipseStarter.java:165)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(
EclipseStarter.java:142)
org.eclipse.osgi Startup error

java.lang.RuntimeException
: Exception while creating System Bundle: Unable to find system bundle manifest file.
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.createSystemBundle(
Framework.java:224)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize(
Framework.java:186)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>(
Framework.java:112)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework(
OSGi.java:90)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>(
OSGi.java:31)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(
EclipseStarter.java:278)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(
EclipseStarter.java:165)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(
EclipseStarter.java:142)
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(
EclipseStarter.java:178)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(
EclipseStarter.java:142)

As you can probably tell, I’m fairly unfamiliar with this project, so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what causes this error.

At first I thought the system bundle manifest file is the org.eclipse.osgi/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file, but if that were the case, I’m not sure why I’m getting this error.  One thing I tried was to look at the contents of <eclipse install location>/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.1.jar, since running the framework using this jar worked.  After extracting the contents of this jar into a temporary folder, I noticed that there is a ADAPTOR.MF file in the org/eclipse/core/runtime/adaptor folder.  Is this the system bundle manifest file?  Where does it come from?

Thanks,

Arjun