RE: [equinox-dev] Roadmap?

Here is another reason (requirement) for why I do not want to be
providing the "BundleContext" to the dynamic IoC framework.
(Furthermore, see some verbiage in the DS specification about getting
the BundleContext in an "implementation-defined way" (see 112.8.1).  I
would hate to come up with a "general purpose" IoC framework that could
only work in a particular OSGi implementation.  Plus it just feels...
wrong).

I want my jar/bundle files to work in both an OSGi "hosted" environment
and in a "client" environment.

In the OSGi hosted environment my "jar" files are normal OSGi bundles
and have the usual OSGi lifecycle.  My "jar" files are NOT put on the
system classpath (typically) and my class-loading is managed by OSGi.
This is the "hosted" environment.  Furthermore, the OSGi infrastructure
has been properly "launched".  (Whether that is done from the "normal"
main or from some other container is moot).

In the "client" environment the "jar" files that had been used as
"Bundles" in the OSGi environment are merely placed on the classpath of
the JVM.  Furthermore, the OSGi framework is not "launched" in such an
environment.  Yes yes yes, we lose the run-time protection of classes
and all that, and no dynamic updates, but in my environment I don't
particularly care about that.  And I gain the ability to create
"libraries" that will work both hosted and unhosted.

Now we get back to my IoC requirement:  I want to be able to dynamically
have IoC in both environments, and not have the users write different
code in the different environments.  When in the "client" environment
when the user dynamically asked for a certain "type" the IoC framework
would be smart enough to know it was not in a running OSGi environment
and rather than attempting to track the service it would simply do a
"Class.newInstance()" on the object and return that.  Obviously, there
are some issues around that (like that services then must have the null
constructor) and that some of the matching that can be done with OSGi
filters could not be performed.  However, as long as those restrictions
are "understood" I think such an ability is a requirement in some
scenarios.

The programmer should not care about whether or not they are running
hosted as a bundle in a running OSGi framework or they are running as
part of a client using the system class-loader to get the instances of
the "service".

Do you guys have any thoughts about such a requirement?  Have you
thought about anything along these lines?

John Wells (Aziz)
jwells@xxxxxxx