[equinox-dev] Re: Client side security store (Peter Kriens)

Jay,

The Higgins project will soon (waiting on legal/process issues) have some
early code out. The essence of Higgins is the introduction of an
identity-related IContext abstraction. A context is a group digital identity
objects each of which has a set of attributes and a set of reference to
other correlated identities in related contexts.

Applications using Higgins first open a root context (called the "user
context") which contains a digital identity object (currently called a
"facet") that represents the user. This user facet's attributes can be
username/password information, keys, and other claims necessary to
authenticate to (or in Higgins parlance to "open) other contexts. Most
applications would define their own context and store in the user context
the credentials necessary for access to their own context.

The code we have today has a toy-like implementation of the user context,
but it makes perfect sense that a real user context impl would wrap the OS
keystores, etc. as was mentioned. In other words, the Higgins project pretty
much has to build what you are looking for.

The reason I've just been lurking on this list despite my keen interest in
the issues related to client-side keystores, etc, is that the Higgins
project is stretched thin right now just getting our first code ready, along
with a couple of example IContext impl plug-ins, etc. and we don't currently
have a date for when this work will be finished.

-Paul