Re: Re[4]: [equinox-dev] OBR2

Just to clarify what I after is not having to author two sets of metadata.  From a repository USER's point of view I have a bundle, I add it to the repo.  I need a bundle, I query the repo and get the thing I need/want.  When adding a bundle to the repo the repo itself should interrogate the bundle and find any dependencies.

There is a challenge in that there may be dependencies that cannot be detected.  For example, we have this in our Help setup where help needs an appserver.  Typically Tomcat is supplied but there may well be others.  You would not want to spec help to depend on Tomcat.  If we were using services then you would spec Help to need the webapp service.  Perhaps when we have declarative services that will be a possibility but there will still be such scenarios where the public contract implied by services is not appropriate and alternative mechanisms (e.g., the extension registry) are used.

Grouping bundles is an interesting notion that solves this issue as well as allows function producers to explicitly declare sets of bundles that go together.  A bundle group can simply be viewed as a bundle that aggregates the constituent parts.  However it is actually represented it is just a unit that exports the union of the exports in its contents and imports/required the union of its prerequisites. etc.

Expressing or representing these capabilties and requirements in an an open, extensible way is goodness.

Jeff

Peter Kriens <Peter.Kriens@xxxxxxxx>

09/23/2005 12:16 PM

Please respond to
Equinox development mailing list

Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Equinox development mailing list <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, heavy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re[4]: [equinox-dev] OBR2

Good idea, but I assume it can be used to generate the meta data?

I think this is an example where the generic requirements capability
model shines. We will have lots of dependencies that need to be
modeled. Modeling them semantically in the repo format will make the
repo format a major spec work undertaking.

Kind regards,

    Peter Kriens