Re: [equinox-dev] CVS module questions

Jeff McAffer wrote:
thoughts/questions:

- in M6 we are improving the ability to use the Eclipse OSGi standalone. This includes packaging it as one jar and including a main() that just runs OSGi and a console. I suspect this is not quite what you want but is worth stating anyway :-)

As a straight-up OSGi user, I'd like to see better documentation on the eclipse osgi layer, particularly the stuff in osgi that is left up to the implementation, such as how things are stored, how bundles are unpacked, etc.

It would be great if you had a distribution with just the runtime. Right now I have the jars and ancillary files pulled out of the plugin. It works but its own distribution would be a big help. Sounds like what you mention for M6.

Further, I'd like to see a nice API for setting up the initial environment. I'd rather configure things in Java code than the properties files. Of course, this is might be there but it means I have to figure it out, as opposed to documentation for exactly this.

- how do you automatically install bundles on other OSGi implementations?

Properties. You set properties for the root of the installed bundles dir and props for the path/to/bundles to load and props for startlevels, etc. This is similar to how Eclipse currently does it.

- I'm assuming that since you run your stuff on other OSGi implementations that you do the work of your application/system in the start() method(s) of some bundles. If so, why do you want to use startup.jar?

I was evaluating startup.jar just to see what it could offer. We ship embedded web apps, so I have been curious to see what we could learn or leverage from the next level up in the eclipse design.

- Are you considering changing to use applications? If so, lok at how some existing applications are structured. Pretty easy, just implement an IPlatformRunnable and contribute an application extension (see org.eclipse.ui.ide for an example). Then you list the application id in the config.ini's eclipse.application property.

Yes, we are watching closely the applications model. We ship a set of network services, along with an embedded web server and management web apps, so part of my eval was to see what the Eclipse app model looked like, in case it helped with our web app model.

-enrique

Jeff

Back to the top