Re: [epp-dev] Moving a package to Java 11 as requirement

Am 27. Februar 2020 21:00:38 MEZ schrieb Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>Hi all,
>
>Today I've faced a couple of issues where Java 8 is noticeable less
>productive that Java 11 and some of its sugar.

Would you share your experience so far? I'm looking for concrete examples that could improve productivity with 11.

>Also, I'm curious, are there any other package maintainers out there
>who are eager to move to a newer Java as BREE?

I'm not a package maintainer, but we have some customers that insist on compatibility because they won't touch a line of code just because they fear too loose their job if something breaks. Unfortunately we see *a lot* of incompatibilities with Java 11 and "old" Java 8 code, so this isn't trivial to move. But for the IDE itself it should be possible to run on higher Java versions than the product, so I personally don't have any objections if some packages would move. There are old package versions around for people with Java 8.

--
Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

https://www.eclipse.org/user/aloskutov
Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

Back to the top