Re: [epp-dev] Neon M6 packages

Hi Mickael,

>> It would be best to get enough +1 votes until tomorrow / Tuesday to be
>> able to release them at about 10am tomorrow.
>>
> What are the typical tests and checks to run in order to give a
> neaningful +1? Are those documented somewhere?

Not that I (tester of the Java package) know of. Here's what I always do:

- Enable Automated Error Reporting, so I don't miss anything in the
Error Log.

- Read the new and noteworthy [1] and do a quick sanity check that the
advertised functionality works.

- Import existing projects (plain .project, Maven, Gradle) and do a bit
of exploratory testing (using Content Assist, Search, etc).

- Check the About dialog/Installation details for obviously wrong
metadata (missing names, unsigned bundles, default icons).

- In a last step, check that there are no unresolved bundles (this
requires me to install the Host OSGi Console, which is not part of my
package; hence the "last step"). FWIW, does anyone know whether this can
be automated (ideally part of the EPP Tycho build already?)

Each milestone I also pick one project (e.g., Buildship, WindowBuilder)
which I look at more closely, toying with its preferences, skimming its
help content, etc. This is in part to educate myself about the
capabilities of projects that are part of "my" package but which I don't
use myself in my day job.

I usually end up filing a 3-5 bugs, most of which are minor
inconsistencies in the UI.

> Should we add a document
> in the repo to describe the acceptance tests?

I fear this document will grow updated quickly; at least I focus on "new
and noteworthy" functionality and trust the individual projects that
they test their basic features on a regular basis.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

[1] <https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.6/M6/>

--