Re: [epp-dev] Can we drop 32bit EPP Packages?

I wonder how many of those 32 bit downloads are deliberate or just out of habit and/or not knowing what to download. Do we have numbers from problem reports or some such which would give some impression of real world usage?

Regards,

Arthur

Von: epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:epp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Markus Knauer
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 17. Februar 2016 09:58
An: Eclipse Packaging Project
Betreff: Re: [epp-dev] Can we drop 32bit EPP Packages?

Hi Patrick,

good question... I thought about the same idea some months but even when I check the download numbers today, there are in my opinion too many downloads of the 32-bit version. Running a (very simplified) query today which includes data from the last 12 months just for the Mars release (2015-02-17 to 2016-02-17), I see a total number of about 14 million downloads and only about 10 million downloads were 64-bit downloads. Subtracting this leaves 4 million downloads for 32-bit packages which is a very high number. For the time being I would continue to build the 32-bit versions.

The configuration itself is defined in the parent pom in the Tycho target platform configuration, and is the same for all packages.

Regarding the follow up question: Yes, the 64-bit packages should probably be the default if no one comes up with good reasons why we shouldn't do so. Maybe this helps changing the statistics over time towards 64-bit, who knows.

Regards,

Markus