[epp-dev] The way EPP packages are built

Hi,

I was digging through the Eclipse Marketplace lately and found that most reported installation errors are coming from EPP packages with error messages like, for instance :

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found. Software currently installed: Shared profile 1.0.0.1323208539966 (SharedProfile_epp.package.java 1.0.0.1323208539966) Missing requirement: Shared profile 1.0.0.1323208539966 (SharedProfile_epp.package.java 1.0.0.1323208539966) requires 'org.maven.ide.eclipse [1.0.100.20110804-1717]' but it could not be found

As far as I know the current package building mechanism involves a feature  (for instance epp.modeling) including the other features. Problem arise when somebody want's to install a newer version of one of the included feature, p2 then would have to "un-install the whole epp feature" If I'm not mistaken.

On the other hand I had pretty good experiences lately with Tycho exporting 'Eclipse IDE like' product with .product files. In this case the .product holds all the feature references to include.

I'm interested in trying to setup a complete toolchain to build the EPP modeling package using Tycho, but once I did that, do any of you foresee any issue in integrating it to the "EPP build process" ?

What do you think ?

Cédric

Back to the top