Re: [epp-dev] EPP Policy on committers and package maintainers?

On 11/8/11 1:47 PM, Markus Knauer wrote:

Based on the assumption that a package maintainer committer must have a deep knowledge about his/her package internals (i.e. the projects that go into a certain package) it is an absolute requirement that he/she is already committer on one or many of those projects. Because of this existing committership on other projects, I wouldn't expect too many problems to justify an election. Or am I wrong?

Unless the Technology Project's written policy on committer elections is changed, that EPP policy would contradict it. Here's the quote from the Tech Project page at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Technology#Committer_Elections

"The Technology PMC requires that all committer nominations include specific rationalization of the merit of the individual. At a minimum, we expect that all committer nominations include a list of bugs (including ids) that the candidate has contributed patches to, and that those patches have been accepted (committed) by an existing committer."

Having said that, I'm not opposed to the concept that's being proposed for EPP, just pointing out the apparent contradiction in published policies.  What I am opposed to is having a published policy for EPP that does not completely comply with the published policy of the Technology Project. But I do think it's something we can remedy; in my message a few minutes ago I proposed the type of modification to the Tech Project's policy that I think would accommodate EPP's proposed policy.

Eric

Back to the top