Re: [epl-discuss] Draft changes

FWIW part of the motivation for the Mozilla scheme was that, when looking at an "author chooses law" option, we could not think of a way to allow the author to choose that would allow compatibility between, say, Mozilla-NY, Mozilla-CA(li), Mozilla-CA(nuck), and Mozilla-UK. They each essentially become a separate license for purpose of compatibility analysis, which would defeat part of the point of a copyleft, even a weak one. So I'd recommend against that approach even though it sounds intuitively appealing.

Favoring the defendant does not always favor the author, and probably wouldn't be appropriate for an aggressive copyleft (where the author can often be expected to be the plaintiff) but seemed like a reasonable compromise to protect individual contributors, who were a major consideration when drafting MPL.

Luis