Re: [epl-discuss] Concrete suggestions for changes to the EPL

On 18/03/2015 4:23 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
>   * /Scope of Copyright License: /The applicability of the EPL is
>     restricted to code and documentation, rather than all copyrightable
>     materials.
This might have unintended bad consequences - suppose a source
repository today just gives EPL as the license and includes some image
files? (What is the rationale for making the restriction?)

I think this sort of provision would be unprecedented for an open
source license, regardless of whether it's a good thing.

Interesting. I hadn't thought that this suggestion would be controversial. I stand corrected.

Just out of curiousity, what is the unintended bad consequence of applying the EPL to image files?

Perhaps a simpler and more conservative change would be to replace "code and documentation" with "code _or_ documentation". I have heard people assert that unless the documentation is accompanying some code that it is not covered by the EPL.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top